OCSO Youth Concerto Competition
Encouraging Excellence in Musical Performance
The competition will be held on Saturday, September 14, 2019 at Syracuse Artist Pianos, 5780 Celi Drive, East Syracuse, beginning at 11am. Specific performance times will be emailed to each entrant. The winner(s) will perform with the Onondaga Civic Symphony Orchestra at their opening October 27, 2019 concert at Atonement Lutheran Church in Syracuse. Winner(s) will also receive a small honorarium for their performance. Exact rehearsal details will be determined after the competition, but the rehearsals will be on Monday nights between 7:15 and 9:15.
Register online by September 4th.
A check for $20, to cover costs of hosting the competition, payable to Onondaga Civic Symphony Orchestra, must be postmarked by September 6th and sent to PO Box 5171, Syracuse, NY 13220.
- Students in 7th through 12th grades are eligible to enter, and must go to school in one of the Onondaga County school districts, or in one of the adjoining counties (Oneida, Oswego, Madison, Cortland, or Cayuga). Home schoolers from these districts, as well as students whose music teacher lives in Onondaga County, are welcome to apply.
- The previous year’s winner is ineligible to enter the competition.
- A contestant must play a piece from the Repertoire List. There are no exceptions to this. Note that for 2019, the previous requirement that the performance must be from memory has been waived.
- A contestant must provide an accompanist, and must audition in person. No tapes are permitted.
- Two copies of the scores must be provided for the judges’ use. These must be purchased editions; photocopies are illegal and will not be allowed.
- At the discretion of the judges, contestants may be interrupted or subjected to time restrictions during their competition round.
- The decision of the judges is final in all aspects.
- Contestants may indicate a time preference for the competition which will be honored if possible, but cannot be guaranteed.
- Parents, teachers and friends are encouraged to attend. The day’s events are open to the public.
Please read these regulations carefully and refer to them as you prepare for the competition. You will be notified as to your audition time.
Questions may be addressed to Erik Kibelsbeck at email@example.com
Download a PDF of the required repertoire.
Submit Contest Entry
Register online by September 6.